- Although the two titles seem to differ, with one being a hero and one being a deserter really they are about the same circumstances. Both men in the poems were trying to escape the war.
- The mothers of the men are both misinformed and think their sons are hero's that died for their country.
- The hero uses enjambement and so does the deserter.
- The rhyming pattern in the hero is AA,BB,CC and in the deserter the rhyming pattern is A,B,C,B.
- The soldier in the deserter was killed by his own country and the hero was killed by an opposing country.
Comments about the poems-
When in the Deserter the line ' an english bullet in his heart' is repeated twice it adds emphasis and impact on the way the line makes you think. It adds a slight shock to the reader and maybe makes you feel guilty. It also shows that the war had no mercy , no life was spared and no mistake would be taken lightly.
Alice Collett, Cleophie Alexander, Eleanor Izzard and Leanne Knights.blog party!